Blogs Directory

Friday, April 27, 2018

The Contract You Sign When You Check In Online


We’re so excited when we check in online. We can’t wait to get the must-do done, so we can get on to what’s really fun. Like picking excursions. Deciding on drink packages. Shopping!

So, how closely do we look at that cruise contract we electronically sign?

After mechanically acknowledging I’ve read it for the past 20+ cruises, I finally decided that maybe I should take a look at that fine and tiny print after all.

All 15½ pages of it (when copied and pasted into my computer).

Here’s just a sampling of what I just agreed to on my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise:

If I go to the onboard doctor, I do so at my own risk. Since RCI is not a medical provider, it can’t supervise the medical personnel.

Hate the haircut I get onboard? I’m on my own. If I change my mind after getting the photo package or am overcome with buyer’s remorse after that art auction purchase or the expensive bracelet I buy on the ship, even though RCI may get a cut from any of it, they assume no responsibility.



Was disappointed with my excursion? Too bad, so sad. Like the onboard shops, medical folks or photographers, argues RCI, the excursions are independent contractors and don’t represent the cruise line.



RCI can change my trip at any time. The cruise line retains the right to alter the itinerary, time of sailing or even the ship for any reason at any time and without prior notice.

Luggage with a view. My baggage is subject to inspection or electronic monitoring without my consent or knowledge.

They own my cruising face. RCI reserves the right to use photos or videos of me taken in connection with the cruise for advertising, sales, publicity and training. Until the end of time.



Indeed, there were some surprises in that lengthy document. Does it dampen in any way my excitement for the cruise ahead? Not one little bit. But what reading it did prove: it’s best to know before you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment